Monday, November 3, 2008

Wissahickon Cross

From two weeks ago...

Ok, so the previous day was not too hot. Crashes and general mayhem are not the prescription for a good race...just a fun one. I had a similar terrible position to start Wissahickon, but the long power sections and course knowledge from last year would suit me well for passing. Here we go.

I got clipped in and sprang up the left side of the pack, barreling over rocks and large bumps (arguably the worst possible line), probably making my way into the first 50 riders by the time we started the first series of switchbacks down to the field below. This time I managed to successfully navigate my way through the chaos and into some small groups at the first third of the race. Unfortunately, the race leaders were already in the sand pit at this point...at least 45 seconds ahead. Damn.

As I came through the barriers the first time around, I overheard that I was somewhere around 25th place. At this point things were pretty strung out, so I figured I could settle in and pick up positions one by one over the course of the next 37-40 minutes. And so it went.

A few laps later I found myself in the top 10. Then I was alerted to the fact that the rider ahead had the 5th place position. I quickly bridged up and sat on, getting some valuable rest. I'm honestly not sure how I picked up so many positions so quickly. I could see the 4th place rider in the pinwheel/spiral of death before the barriers, but those are impossible to judge gaps from, so I was realistic about my odds of making the catch. I put in a few digs, but couldn't shake the (former) 5th placed guy over the second to last lap. As we came through for the final time around, I took the lead into the turns below. Still couldn't lose him, even after a really strong ride through the sand. I finally let him by, going wide into a turn to open the door. Assuming I didn't screw anything up (all too possible), I presumed I had a good chance in the final sprint uphill. I setup on his wheel, keeping a careful eye backwards, as Jeremy Dunn was starting to close in the final lap. Fourth place was just out of contention, and the top 3 had gotten such a huge early gap that they were hopelessly far ahead. Damn your front row starts, MAC regulars.

As we came into the final turn, I could tell that this guy was either a match sprinter or had nothing at all. He was either waiting for my kick to start his, or he had burned too many matches before. With 100m to go, I came around pretty easily and slotted into 5th place. Sweet. If I can sneak my way forward in a few more races, I can hopefully get enough MAC points to score a call-up for the USGP in a couple weeks.

No comments: