Thursday, May 28, 2009

Catch-up

I had a "great" report about ECCC Easterns that was inevitably interrupted by other things. Oh well. Maybe it will surface someday.

Long story short: Penn State Easterns course-- 4 laps at ~21 miles each, with probably close to 2000 ft of climbing per lap.

I ate and drank well enough, made the right selections (it's not hard to figure out where this will happen when there's a 5 mile climb), and was only dropped with several miles left to get 5th place. Not bad for the company I found myself in- I'll leave you to stalk their results, but the top 4 were: Jim Camut (Land Rover/Orbea), Thom Coupe (BikeReg/Cannondale), Austin Roach, and Clayton Barrows (CRCA Empire/Rite-Aid). I think less than half the field managed to finish. I love the course, but contend that it's too hard and demoralizing.

So that was good.

Since then, I did a 6 hour enduro two weekends ago- the Highland Hex. I cruised around, ate some food, and ended up riding for 6 laps in 6.5 hours. Did I mention that I love races where there is absolutely no pressure to perform? I should note that Cameron lapped me twice. Ouch.

Finally this past weekend I did a modified Kancamagus ride with Jordan.



The above loop is 91 miles, but we totaled 104 miles. We supplemented the loop by adding a 5 mile climb up NH 118, made famous by the Dartmouth road race last spring. Spirits were high, but speeds were low. I think we bordered on randonneuring pace (16.? mph)...but I couldn't care less. I'm proud that I averaged only 167W for the ride. I felt great then, but unfortunately I must have left my legs in New Hampshire...

This coming weekend is the CT Stage Race, consisting of a time trial, a circuit race, and a 91 mile road race (for ALL categories). We got our TT start list today. I've never been passed in a TT, but that may very well change...

All the disc wheels and dimpled shoe covers in the world won't help me now.

No comments: