Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Older News- Philly Phlyer (Circuit Race)

There was ample time between the TTT and the 31 mile circuit race, but having pulled our team for 8 miles I wasn't sure how my legs would recover for the afternoon. Whatever.

Following the TTT we went to a bagel "shoppe" (very Collegetown Bagels atmosphere) for lunch. I'm not sure a Reuben was the best between-race meal, but it was pretty damn good. And I never felt bad later on, so it couldn't have been too ill-advised. Getting there, however, involved a whole bunch of driving through West Philadelphia (oh my) before we crossed this one street and it instantly turned into one of the wealthiest neighborhoods I've ever seen. The transition was unreal.

The circuit race started off well, as some rider screwed up clipping in, swerved to the left, and took out a handful of riders not 5 meters into the race. Well done. As usual, I positioned myself at the back, ready to bear the consequences of the accordion effect made even greater by the large field size. A couple attacks went up the road, and I was neither willing nor able to make any sort of effort to join them. The headwind kept the field close and spread from the gutter to the yellow line. If you weren't in the front couple lines, there was nothing you could do about any attacks. Even then, there was no element of surprise when everyone in the field could see you winding up to make the break.

The first couple laps went by without any incident, and the two small hills on course presented a new challenge, as I got to see the sprinter-types small ringing up the pedestrian inclines. I presume they were saving their legs, but I still can't wait until we get to do some real climbing. I'm tired of getting crapped on in the final meters of these flat races.

In any case, I decided that a pack finish without any earnest attack would make the day kind of a failure, so I went for a solo break halfway through lap 3. I probably should have attacked earlier on the "hill", given how much distance I gained in only a short amount of actual ascent. As I crested the top, I looked back to check the gap. Despite the impending headwinds, I kept it pinned. Maybe they would get lazy and I could get away? Probably not, but worth a shot.

At times I opened the gap wider and could begin to see the tail end of the initial breakaway. If only I had others with me, or I had insane power on tap I possibly could have bridged. As I came through the start/finish I got Cornell some "press" over the PA as the announcer called out the riders passing through. Not long after this, I was joined by 3 other riders. Was this going to be the help I needed to close that gap to the front? No. No, it wasn't.

We didn't work together well at all and before not too long the field swallowed us up on the flat section along the river. Almost instantly, attacks shot off and we were clinging to the tail end of the peloton as it strung out in a line. Luckily the attempts were half-hearted and the field made the catch and backed off the pace rather quickly. It seemed that for the moment the failed solo break wouldn't be the death of me.

The remainder of the race went by without any further incident, as the field kept the pace under control and reigned in any other attacks. The speed on the inclines was higher than before, but nothing to cry about. We never did catch the initial breakaway group of ~10 (I think) and it ended up being a bunch sprint for the remainder of the placings. I tried to stand up and go, but it just wasn't happening. Too much effort prior, and too few fast twitch muscle fibers conspired against me having a respectable final sprint. I sat up and rolled in for another unremarkable pack finish. But at least I made it interesting for a little while; I was happy about that.

Grant's Tomb Criterium report soon enough.

No comments: