Monday, June 22, 2009

What do you think...

...about ProTour riders at domestic p/1/2 races?

http://www.velonews.com/article/93695/armstrong-wins-nevada-city-in-solo-break


Really, Lance? After 7 TdF wins, a world championship, etc. you couldn't just sit in and let some local or domestic pro take the win?

I slightly vacillate on my feelings toward this, although I am predominantly against it. I'll be clear that I'm certainly not against the exposure that these riders bring to local events, but...

As evidenced by the sentiment on the velonews.com forum (most likely populated by old guys riding Serottas and Colnagos), they would have you believe that most racers LOVE guys like Lance and Levi lining up since they get to "rub elbows with the pros." I don't think Lance et al are there to rub elbows with anyone. (Incidentally, I wonder if any riders literally try to rub Lance's elbows...would he yell at you?) They claim they are there to train...and then they ride away from the field? If you're going to ride away from the field for training...why not go hammer some solo miles instead? Or better yet- go race against other ProTour riders in Europe. Let's be honest...we know how good these guys are- we cannot actually comprehend how fast they are. I would guess that a fair amount of domestic pros don't need a reminder of this. Yes, it is by definition a PRO race...but there are different levels of pro, just as there are different levels of amateur. I don't get to enter cat 4/5 races just to get some "good training" in. Lance and Levi have the roads of the Giro and the Tour to compete- let the continental guys have their day.

I'm actually very curious about the thoughts of domestic pros and local heros in any racing discipline. I feel like it has to be a crushing realization to know you are so good, but yet not able to race at the highest level*. Oh yeah...then Lance shows up, wins your target race, and then plays it off as a training day. I bet everyone is ecstatic to see those guys on the pre-reg list. Me? I couldn't care less- this isn't my livelihood. I just get spit out the back quicker.

Also, where does Livestrong get their ideas for kit design?


*I apologize if any legitimately good athletes read this and subsequently become depressed.

1 comment:

Cogburner said...

Oh shit, you need to TM our jersey ASAP or risk a Livestrong Lawsuit!