Thursday, November 8, 2007

The upcoming season.

As much as I look forward to the snow each winter, this winter skiing is going to become more of a past-time and a training tool rather than the focus of my training year. Given my relative success this past cycling season, I'd like to think that if I designed some sort of training plan and stuck to it, I might be able to do well in the pro/1/2 ranks. That's not to say that I won't be seen on the ski circuit this winter, but I won't be approaching it as I have in years past.

Fueled by some sense of motivation and recent talk with Jordan about it, I sat down last night and tentatively mapped out the season ahead. My goal races of the summer include the Fitchburg-Longsjo Classic (July 3-7) and the Green Mountain Stage Race (very late August-early September). As it turns out, they're perfectly spaced to plan a two-peak season a la The Cyclist's Training Bible. Fitchburg is on the USA Cycling National Racing Calendar (NRC) and is arguably the most competitive stage race for cat 2's. It's also a cat 2 only field, which means I won't have to race against pro/1's as I will for the other races I will end up doing. I don't really know if the race is as suited to my style of riding as GMSR, but it's something I have to do before I can consider myself a serious roadie.

Following the 4-week periodization cycles laid out in the Bible, I find myself theoretically starting the majority of my base riding in mid-February, which isn't too bad. In fact, the projected start of the so-called "Base 2" period begins the day after the Gatineau (formerly Keskinada) Loppet. According to the prescription, this is when one begins to specifically train for cycling. The periods prior focus on general fitness and long, slow endurance, which will be perfect given the kind of training I will be doing in preparation for the 53k race.

It seems like I will end up training through most of the races for collegiate season and early summer, but doing crappy in meaningless races is a small sacrifice for a strong performance at Fitchburg. With a good season plan and the desire to stick with it, I'm hoping I can capitalize on my weaknesses and possibly have a cat 1 upgrade by the end of next season. It's a long shot, but I also thought making cat2 would be out of reach only last summer. And yeah, it's a pretty arbitrary achievement, but there's just some mystique about being cat 1. And it gives you the status to deflect arrogant roadies.

Whatever, it's all for fun.

No comments: